The mobile applications market is still growing with 23 billion dollars in turnover generated by the Appstore and Google Play and a 20% increase in customer spending in 2019 *. In this competitive era, estimating the cost of your app is very necessary.
It is not surprising in this context that many companies want to develop their applications by placing the mobile at the heart of their business.
In all cases, it remains tough to anticipate the cost of its application, the price range being able to vary considerably from one application to another. It mainly depends on three main criteria: functionality, technology, and design.
What features can vary the cost of your app?
The first essential point for your applications is obviously the functionalities, namely all the uses that you will offer in your application for your users.
The cost of these features may vary depending on:
- Volume: the higher the quantity, the more costly the application will be.
- Development complexity: certain functionalities may require more development time because they represent increased technical challenges.
The intervention of external elements can also cause costs to vary. By interference of foreign elements, we mean any integration, connection, or interfacing with existing solutions.
It may be :
- Synchronization of your application with your website or an existing database.
- Integration of an external service (mapping service, connection facilitator, integration of payment solution, push notification, etc.).
Among the most expensive features:
- Payment tunnel.
- Synchronization with third-party APIs or services.
- Social interaction features comment, like, manage friends.
- Innovative features: machine learning, augmented reality, etc.
Technology: The Nerve of War
The technology (or programming language) for which you will opt for the development of your application will significantly fluctuate the cost of the latter.
Depending on the technical strategy chosen and the targeted distribution platform (Android or iOS), the development days may vary from one to two.
For those who are not proficient in mobile, here is a summary of the four prime families of technologies used :
1. Native Language:
It is the traditional language of mobile application development that is pushed by Apple and Google. The native language is the most efficient because it has been thought and created to perfectly meet the needs of the devices (normal since it is created and pushed by the manufacturers).
For some applications, you will have no choice but to use these technologies, which allow the creation of complex and platform-related functionalities.
In case you want to create an application only on an iOS or Android platform, do not deprive yourself of the power of these technologies, which are often discarded, because of the cost of the “multiplatform”.
Native technologies include Swift for Apple, Kotlin for Android.
2. Hybrid Web Language:
Introduced in 2009, hybrid web languages make it possible to create mobile applications using integrated web views, while benefiting from bridges with certain native functionalities of the platforms: access to contacts or the calendar, push notification.
The interest of these technologies is to partially share the code between three platforms: iPhone, Android, and the website.
Before choosing this technology, you should check the feasibility of the features you want to integrate and the durability of the desired application.
3. The Native Hybrid Language:
Introduced in 2013. The native hybrid languages promise mobile applications closer to native possibilities, with interface possibilities very close to native technologies.
The advantage of these technologies is that it directly uses part of the native components. Thus, the performances are better than for the web hybrid.
We find as technologies: React Native, Xamarin, Flutter.
4. The PWA or Progressive Web App:
Its operation is very close to what a vintage application (downloaded from a store) could offer.
Design: an aesthetic that comes at a cost
Regarding the design of your application, in terms of UX and UI, everything is possible! But just because your imagination is limitless doesn’t mean that the development behind it will also be crystal clear.
The more precise design details you want (custom views, non-standard navigation, animation, transition, etc.), the longer the development time will be.
So be careful with the templates and other attractive designs that you will find online (on Dribble or Pinterest, for example), which will often belong to develop and more expensive to produce.
Additional Costs to be Expected
Finally, in addition to development costs, it is significant to anticipate recurring costs, such as:
- Maintenance of your application. The more users you have, the more it will cost you and, depending on the technology used, it may cost you more (hybrid more costly than the native, for example). This maintenance is divided into two main types:
- corrective maintenance: your service provider treats any anomalies that may occur during use or on minority versions of platforms (ex: iOS13.2 is a minority version of iOS13),
- scalable maintenance: your service provider manages new features on the app over the long term.
- Upgrades of annual versions: for the application to always be compatible with the latest version of the OS of the various terminals, updates to your app must be necessary.
- Subscriptions to third-party solutions if you have integrated them (push, payment, mapping, etc.)
- The server
- Supervision and monitoring of your services
You will understand by reading this article, the cost of your app depends on an immense number of parameters. Price ranges can vary from 7,000 to 500,000 euros.
Only a clear and precise specification will allow you to have the most refined and realistic quote possible.
At Intelvue, we take very seriously to provide you with the most precise quote possible, transparently, and without hidden cost. Today, dozens of customers have trusted us and who prove their loyalty to us every year.
Contact Us To Budget Estimate For Your Application
Understood how to estimate the cost of your app? Do you need a budget estimate for your application? Contact us! We will be delighted to be able to accompany you.